Monday 4 May 2009

Gyeran Bbang

On a recent Sunday morning wander through the streets of our neighbourhood, Sarah and I came across a vendor selling egg bread, or Gyeran Bbang in Korean.

My first experience of egg bread was when a student brought a huge bag of it in to share with the class. Feeling the 4 o’clock hunger beginning to gnaw at my insides, I subsequently broke my “no food” rule and allowed them and I a brief afternoon snack before tackling the finer points of English Land 4.

On that occasion the bread was fluffy and ever so slightly sweet, a good foil to the richness of the whole egg that lurked inside waiting to pounce on you with its just-cooked consistency. I remember thinking that if I just had a rasher or two of bacon and some hollandaise sauce that would be me for the day – the kids could teach themselves.

That day passed and although I often saw the egg bread cooking away in the street by our school, I never again indulged. Until I saw this chap that is.



Casting my mind back that Eggs Benedict moment at school I thought I could perhaps regain some of the Sunday glories of yesteryear and promptly ordered one. Unable to buy just one however, I resorted to purchasing three for 2 chun, not a bad price but unfortunately more egg bread than I was after.



As it turned out in this case quantity was no substitute for quality; the bread was overly sweetened and had the consistency of a twinky, much too chewy and artificial for my liking, while the egg itself was unfortunately more than a little overcooked. The combination meant I abandoned the first one less than half way in and had to resort to yet another act of forced littering, abandoning my charges on a wall before legging it in the direction of Dongnae subway station.

Better luck next time.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

ooh, im still not quite sure what this is - is the egg like a fried one? yolk entact? done well this sounds like id LOVE it! new blog, yay!

8 May 2009 at 02:11  
Blogger Street Foodie said...

The yolk is pretty much intact though it comes close to losing it - if done well that is. Thanks for being my first commenter!

8 May 2009 at 09:02  
Blogger annamatic said...

I usually like those egg breads. There's something slightly sweet in there, what is that? But anyways, those breads shaped like banana in the first pic? Those are a total gyp -- I thought they were going to taste like bananas but they are just some sweet bread SHAPED like a banana, nothing to do with banana at all :-(

I like your blog... keep on munchin'! ^^

9 May 2009 at 17:34  
Blogger Street Foodie said...

Yeah I know they're usually pretty good! I find a lot of Korean bread is really sweet - someone told me that when they went home they thought the bread was too bland. I'm not sure, sweet bread freaks me out a little! I haven't tried those banana shaped things yet, might have to give it a miss. I have tried banana flavoured crisps here though. Now they ARE disgusting.

10 May 2009 at 23:22  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home